Sunday, January 3, 2010

Socially Secure?

In the past American saved every last cent to manage to get food on the table, with no knowledge of credit or cards. Now with many of us leaving above our means we swim in debt. With over $12,000,000,000,000(1) in national debt Americans still trust in the government to provide Social Security, viewed by many as a cushioned retirement fund.
Originally, Social Security was established to lessen poverty in retirement. Those paying into it still set up retirement funds, and Social Security was and is not intended to sustain the same standard of living as before receiving it. So why now as the baby boomer generation approaches retirement are so many dependent on this government program. The weakness of the Act is becoming ever present, it is predicted that by 2016 Social Security will be running a deficit.(2)
America's debt already weakens its appearance, now one of the government’s largest programs is wobbling on thin ice. Wise Americans already see this and have chosen to invest more heavily privately. A Minority fears, somewhat rightfully, the government is getting much too large. Not necessarily powerful as much as involved and overseeing. Lately the majority of citizens seem to be less weary of government than historically seen, however with the fragility of social security and other questioned policies that weariness seems to be increasing.
Our Constitution allows for the flexibility of trust and distrust, government to grow and shrink without abolishing it. It is this flexibility that will protect Americans, economically many charges will need to occur because of the inaccurate reliance on Social Security, but no complete revolution will need to be pursued.

Sources:
1.http://www.usdebtclock.org/#
2.http://www.socialsecurity.org/
3.http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1489760/the_beginning_of_social_security_and.html?cat=9
4.http://www.forbes.com/2009/03/22/obama-larry-summers-economy-government-opinions-contributors-social-security.html

4 comments:

  1. I don't know how much of a minority the weary people really are. Remember when Jimino stated that the minority was very vocal and usually speaking the majority was pretty quiet? Well it's kind of like this. Think about it. I DEFINITELY think that people are getting a little fed up with some of the bullcrap that's going down. Did you know that only 2/3 of the population are actually pro universal health care?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I heard that the goal of social security was not so much for retirment but to push old people out of jobs so young people could get them. Seriously. During the great depression that was a big problem, no? Or were old people just fired? Would a lack of social security lead to age discrimination? idk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your vocabulary and how your words flow. I never new anyone proposed a revolution. Do you think our governmetn will increase tax or cut the program. A lot of seniors are poor, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a difficult time with the actual reading of your text.I know when I am really interested in writing about something, I sometimes forget to go back and re-read what I wrote. In other words, my brain is going faster than my computer! Which is a good thing! Interesting point about Social Security that you mentioned; yes, it was indeed brought about to lessen poverty after retirement.

    ReplyDelete